This is a tasty and economical appetizer for any occasion. There are several variations and you can add toppings of your choice. Each sheet pan serves about 6 people and each plate will serve 3.
- One large bag of Restaurant Style Tortilla chips (I prefer white corn chips but either will do)
- Black beans (Dry or Canned), or Bean Dip, or Re-Fried Beans
- Roma Tomatoes (4 or 5)
- 1 lb of Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 Jar of Diced or Sliced Jalapenos
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- I like to start with dry black beans soaked in water overnight.
- Drain the water and add new water and a dash of salt and bring to a boil. (Prepare according to label.) Simmer for about an hour.
- Drain off excess water and mash beans into a paste.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread tortilla chips in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Spread a small amount of bean paste on each tortilla chip. Distribute diced tomatoes over chips. Sprinkle a liberal amount of shredded cheese over chips and place on middle rack in oven. Place a sliced jalapeno pepper on each chip if desired.
- Now bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Jalapenos and/or diced onions can also be added after cooking. Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream of your choice.
You can use canned bean dip or refried beans for fast preparation.
This also works well in the microwave. Simply spread chips on a microwave safe plate prepare as described and cook for about two minutes. For a bigger party prepare the plates as much as an hour in advance.
Photo Credit: betancourt